Thursday 2 May 2013

Better to do Something than Nothing


I have recently finished my undergrad program, and I've heard from many people that it's common to feel the "graduation blues" afterwards because that's when real life begins. So many people ask me tell me that I should be excited now that I have accomplished finishing school, but to be honest I really don't feel anything at all except anxiety for what will come next and how I'm suppose to "make my mark" in this world. Yes, I know it's completely dramatic, but that is one of the symptoms of feeling blue. Needless to say, I have definitely been getting a good dose of "graduation blues."

But today I changed my routine (or lack there of) and went for a walk by myself. I haven't done that in a while and I forgot how much clearer a walk would always make me feel afterwards. As I walked through the park in my neighbourhood, I realized that even this little thing I was doing, which was really nothing at all, made such a difference in my day. The eye contact I would sometimes make with strangers that was usually followed by a smile, or the energy of my legs picking up pace, my breath deepening, it was all so important in making me realize that there's a whole world out there outside of my (sometimes tortured and usually twisted) mind, and that there is no reason to be anxious. All I need to do is step out and things will happen.

I read an interesting article about self esteem yesterday. I've been working on an article about confidence for a kid's magazine the past few weeks, and so I was trying to do a bit of research when I came across this line: "...people with confidence focus on growth and improving, while people with low confidence worry about making mistakes." I'm not positive which research this came from, but I do remember reading something similar in a psychology course that I took last year. The fear of making a mistake can consume me, and I know that I'm not alone in this because many people around my age seem to make decisions based on the assumption that they will have to live with that choice for the rest of their lives, which is not true, but apparently the way most people in their twenties tend to think. So I suppose it's important to remember that sometimes, and especially when I'm feeling down, it's good to do something than nothing at all. Even something as simple as going for a walk and taking in a deep breath of fresh air can make you realize how exciting taking risks and making mistakes can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment